Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Egg Retrieval

Thursday, October 7th, 2010. A beautiful day in my book! No eating or drinking after midnight on Wednesday, and a 6:45am check-in time at the surgery center on Thursday morning... This may not sound exciting to anyone else,  but to us that Wednesday night was like Christmas Eve.

We arrived about 10 minutes earlier than we were supposed to and sat in our car until it was time to go in so we wouldn't look like crazies. The anticipation was killing us! How many eggs would they retrieve? How many would fertilize? So many unknowns, and yet we still knew everything would happen perfectly.

About 7:15am they got me changed into a gown and surgical gear and started my IV. By 7:25 I was on the table in their operating room, and seconds later I was out like a light. 20 minutes was all it took and next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. Blake comes in to see me and the Doctor tells us they were able to retrieve a whopping 25 eggs! WHOA! Who knew that many eggs could even fit inside me!? We were thrilled!! They warned me that I would be very sore for several days since I had so many eggs, but that was no sweat off my back.

The next day we got a call from our Nurse telling us that we did VERY well and 20 of our 25 eggs fertilized. Suddenly it started to sink in...we had 20 potential "babies" in the lab. How crazy is that? Science is amazing. Thanks to our 20 little embryos, we were able to make  it to a 5 Day Transfer. Doctors will either perform a 3 day transfer, or a 5 day transfer depending on how many embryos you have to choose from. A 5 day transfer is the ultimate goal because it means that you have enough "high quality" embryos that are developing into blastocysts, and the Doctors are able to grade them and select the BEST ones to transfer.

How cute do I look?


No comments:

Post a Comment