So, we got a BFN (Big Fat Negative) from our first IUI. Most clinics and RE's recommend trying at least 3 IUI cycles before moving on to IVF, however, based on our diagnosis and the odds that were stacked against us, we made the decision to move straight to IVF after one failed iui cycle.
Several weeks went by as my Doctor tried to prepare my body for an intense IVF cycle. They put me on oral contraceptives which seems quite contradictory, right? But they actually do that to help regulate your cycle and get your body ready for everything it is about to endure. They also ordered a diagnostic test called a Hysteroscopy. This is an invasive procedure in which they put you under general anaesthesia and "explore" your uterus for possible fibroids or other things that could prevent me from achieving pregnancy. My test went great and then we got the ALL CLEAR to get started on IVF...woohoo!
September rolled around, and along with it came a giant box full of the 12, count 'em, 12 new medications that I would be taking for this cycle!! 3 different injectable medications, plus a plethora of pills was just what the Doctor ordered. Sounds weird- but I was ecstatic to see these medications, and so excited to start my injections! On September 23rd we were finally able to get started, and we could not wait! This time Blake and I had to play Pharmacist/Doctor. Every night I had to mix my medications in a vial, draw them up in a syringe, and Blake had to give me the injections. We went through this strict regimen at 9pm every night for 12 days, plus monitoring appointments in the Med Center every other day. Talk about parking bills...ugh!
Some of the drugs I was on include Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, Doxycycline, Medrol, Hydrocodone, Crinone, and quite a few others. The combination of these definitely took it's toll on me. I was moody, emotional, bloated, and often very physically uncomfortable.... but in the end I knew it would all be worth it. Eye on the prize ;) These drugs cause your ovaries to produce more eggs than they would in a natural cycle and I often felt like I was carrying around melons for ovaries. Not fun, and not comfortable by any means!
From here we proceed to the much anticipated Egg Retrieval. After 12 days of stimulation, my ovaries were FULL of beautiful follicles, each of which contains one egg, and they were ready to be extracted!
No comments:
Post a Comment